Scuola Di Volo: Keep6 Imports
Join us on Saturday May 22nd at 7:30pm for a one-hour virtual guided tasting featuring wines from Keep6 Imports - Volo's sister import agency of beer, wine and spirits. We represent a handful of small producers from unique pockets of the world that are distinctive - each with a sense of regionality, tradition and innovation.
Hosted by Juliana Wolkowski who has spent the last 12 years in Toronto’s hospitality scene. From late night snack bars to some of the world’s best bars - she has spent her career creating both accessible and educational platforms without losing the heart of hospitality and guest connections.
Tickets are $55.00 (plus HST & food item) and include:
- One hour access to virtual guided tasting with Juliana Wolkowski
- Five 3oz samples of wines from Keep6 Imports (tasting notes included!)
- Food pairing options include: chips for $5.00 or antipasto mix for $10.00 (meat, cheese, ferments)
- $5.00 redeemable coupon for any Keep6 Import products (online only at Birreria Volo).
For those that are interested only in the educational component of this virtual seminar, tickets will be offered at $15.00 with no samples included.
- Swick Woo! '19 (Portland, USA) Syrah and Chenin Blanc grown on sandy loam from Yakima, Washington in the Columbia Valley at 1600 feet elevation. Grapes are fermented separately, wholecluster, with 30 days of skin maceration using native yeast. Ferments are worked by foot one to two times a day with no temp control then aged in neutral French oak barrels for eight months. A small sulfur addition before bottling is the only addition to this wine. No filtration
DB Schmitt FKK Weiss'19 (Rheinhessen, Germany) Scheurebe, Pinot Blanc and Huxelrebe on the skin for 3 weeks. Pinot gris and Ortega whole grape pressing. Fermented spontaneously. The wine matured in fiberglass tanks and received 15 mg / l sulfur right before bottling. Notes of summery-light fruit and is still something for natty lovers. Wormwood herb seasoning, grapefruit and crisp stone fruit; brilliant and clean, juicy and tart.
Côme Isambert Le Père Lican '18 (Loire Valley, France) 100% Grolleau Noir from Saint Georges sur Layon, grown on schiste a very good year for Grolleau. Destemmed by hand - 3 weeks in tanks punchdowned by hand, pressing off in a vertical press and blending press and running juice. Aged in two barrels - 600l barrel for 20 months. Blend of the presses of carbonic maceration 2017 and traditional maceration of cabernet. Fruity, floral and spicy with soft tannins
- Salvatore Marino Turi Rosso '19 (Sicily, Italy) Turi Rosso represents in a pure way the territory of Pachino, incredibly suited to the production of the most traditional red grape variety of the Sicily region: Nero d'Avola. To this is assembled an undeveloped ancient variety, the Pignatello or Perricone which together with Frappato and Nero d'Avola are the only grapes allowed inside the Eloro DOC. Turi Rosso is a wine that ferments in steel. It is a red with character and deep but at the same time balanced and velvety, which expresses a warm but not explosive fruit and splendid aromas of Mediterranean scrub, earth and eucalyptus. A wine that pays homage to Sicily very well!
Dirty & Rowdy Skin & Concrete Egg Fermented Semillon '19 (California, USA) 70% Fermented on the skins (24 days), 10% whole cluster (15 days). 20% direct to press to concrete eggs. From winemaker Hardy Wallace "Two wines in one?!? Served ice cold, it is an intriguing and refreshing aperitif. As it warms up you feel cosmic forces and it shifts and evolves from savory fennel, lime, and rock peppered with stardust. Pour a 5 oz (why not make it 8?) tumbler, and take a Semillon stroll. Not 'gonna lie, this one feels mildly psychedelic (please abide by open container laws)"